Friday 19 April 2013

3rd Year Interview

Today I had my interview for the BA Hons year of my course at Newcastle college.

Statement of Intent

I wish to build my BA honours year around the creation of a streetwear orientated lifestyle brand. At the present streetwear is flooding into high-street shops after building from more underground sources. These are now pushing to the forefront of young adult's fashion. I would love to be part of this ongoing movement. I am heavily influenced by historical but recently emerging brands such as Stüssy, Supreme, Patta, 10Deep, The Hundreds and others. Many of these brands have existed for upwards of 10 years but have received a lot more attention of late for both their clothing brands and design work. Their products are often very sought after due to their limited availability and in some cases difficultly of purchase. This all seems to benefit them creating a buzz or hype around release dates.

Through out the year I would like to;
  • Create and develop a brand identity.
  • Produce fashion and lifestyle products.
  • Design the brand's website (acting as a blog documenting the brands development as well as a store front to sell products)
  • Design promotional materials (such as advertising products both web and paper based, editorial design, sale products and packaging.
  • Conceptualise a store (through merchandising)
  • Look into manufacture and printing processes.
To achieve these outcomes I would need to monitor current and forthcoming trends within industry as well as research into historic successful and unsuccessful movements which other brands have made. My already existing passion for street wear would fuel this desire to create a successful brand.

Through already working in street fashion/footwear retail management for almost 4 years I have already gained insight into the importance of branding as well as quality of product. I would like to use this insight to craft high quality brand driven products.

I have already organised placements with Lee Fada and Marc Ross from Prefab77 (who were also part of the design group Reluctant Hero) who created the Electrik Sheep brand which was once just sold independently through their own studio/store but is now available in Topshop both online and in various stores throughout the UK. I would also take on freelance work to build a larger portfolio as well as gain industry links and hopefully provide an additional income.

I think the interview went really well. And hope to hear back about my place within 10 working days.

No comments:

Post a Comment